Vasco -- we have friends on each side of Greece and took a look at the weather - all we can say - after going through something like 5-7 hurricanes in Florida - tuck in and tie up well and I mean make 50 shades of grey look like childs play and you do not have enough fenders -if you are no a med mooring 2-3 anchors would be nice and way off the dock -- not sure where you are but it has the potential to be really bad depending on how it turns and when it turns -
just our thoughts and opinions chuck patty and svsoulmates
Hmmm it is quite now the strong wind is expected to be from the east e.g currently we have stern tied to the quay from the east - only one Kobra 2 anchor seems to hold well ... may consider another one also...
Best of luck Vasko. The high winds are now starting in Malta, and outside my office we have two sinking small power boats. The swell is rather impressive - with the real wind and waves arriving tomorrow night.
looking at Predictwind and some other forecast sites, including meteo.gr, it does not look like you will have too much of a issue on Meganisi as the inonian close to the mainland will not get hit much. However with what wind you will get, I don't think that Porto Atheni is the best location to play safe as it looks you will get north easterlies straight down into the harbour. I think I'd rather hide in Vathi.
In a few days it looks like a very intense low will form off Libya and will do a lap of the eastern Med heading to Malta on Saturday and then back towards Greece. If it goes more north than predicted, then it could cause havoc in the Ionian. Best to be in a well protected location by then.
I’m in the Ionian myself and still wondering how hard we will be hit wednesday and thursday...
Stay where you are , this looks like a Med-hurricane . About 4 years ago (november) we received an email sent to us by MDR (Marina di Ragusa) telling us to buckle up because " a twister " could reach the marina. The complete staff was on emergency assist . We were already back home , concerned for our boat . The low touched the south-east of Sicily (looks like the same scenario now) and then decided to move to Malta . MdR was spared , Malta took the full hit . Lots of damage.
The path now , after touching Sicily again , seems to endanger Crete and the Cyclades . I have a feeling this will be on the European news later this week . Global warming is here to stay ladies and gentlemen.
We noticed bad weather on the way in our area about a week ago and headed for Porto Heli. Staying in the Cyclades would have been a bad idea. Forecasts have varied since then but always looked either fairly or very bad. Locals in Lavrio said they were expecting F10+ and I'd seen 58kts forecast for that area.
It's a different weather system from the one developing in Libya and forecasts for that seem to be as variable as ones we've seen for this area. Glad you are sorted in advance for that one as it does seem likely to be bad.
Latest I've seen for Porto Heli is that we'll have either 34kts overnight and tomorrow or 40kts increasing to 45kts. Little wind just now but I have 2 anchors down in case it does blow harder than expected. We got a great little spot close to shore and looked out late last night to find someone about 20m directly in front of us. Typical.
I had a word this morning and he had 15m chain out (became 30m when I said we had a bit more out). He did move further away and said he had 40m out (but was now even closer to us). I asked how many revs. to dig the anchor in and he said 1000 (revised to 2000 when I seemed surprised).
We had a break when the yacht next to us moved and I think the guy in front finally decided that he was too close. He's now well away from us.
As usual is greece the guy next to us had only 20m chain out on 45ft heavy boat and the anchir draged in the middle of the night - we managed to get him side way to the quey and he was safe for tbe night...
As usual it's the other boats nearby you need to worry about.
Forecasts still seem to be all over the place. GFS & COAMPS not bad and WRF showing a huge depression heading our way with 50-60kts on Sat. Athens university forecast is much more moderate and Skiron GRIBs are showing 30-40kts here at present. The wind is certainly howling but we get complete calm every so often and max. 20kts in between.
I think that we are very sheltered here, close to shore in Porto Heli. I could even row ashore in the dinghy without the outboard. Deciding to hole up here has been a good call so far. I hope it continues to be as good over the weekend.
A friend went through the Corinth canal a few days ago and thought he'd miss the worst of it. Unfortunately, he ran into really bad weather on the other side. Forecasts didn't give any warning, so looks like a roll of the dice is as good just now. The forecasts all use the same models so not surprising there are problems when models vary widely.
Lastest information seems to be that the consensus is for the Medicane to move away from your area towards Crete or possibly up towards us, but that seems less likely as only one model gives that track. It is possible it will head your way but I think that's the least likely outcome (still guess work though).
It was reported elsewhere that Nidri & Vlycho were unusually full for this time of year, posted this morning. Not too surprising but I'd imagine there'd still be room in the bay at Vlycho. Weather was also reported as from north, F5-6, gusting F8, been blowing since Wed. afternoon and likely to continue for a while.
I was told by locals that when you get strong N or NE there it is worst in area from shipyard down towards the charter yacht quay. We usually anchor on the other side (i.e. not turning right when entering the bay).
Elena's taverna served good food and we got their Wifi when anchored at that end and also when right up close to the narrow entrance.
EDIT: Just noticed your other thread on Vlycho so you probably know all about the bay already.
PS We managed to get very cheap Camping Gas in Vlycho last year by anchoring at the entrance and taking the dinghy to the yard. A short walk takes you to the garage and they had an adapter for Auto-gas to Camping Gas (approx. 4 euro to fill). I can give you lat/long for the yard and garage if you think you might need a refill.
'I can't believe that these boats were tied up there to shelter from the storm. I suspect that the owners left them there and went away, because they can't leave boats for free in the town.'
I understand one of the boats was a live-aboard but both were vacated as the quayside became dangerous. With the forecast showing the wind coming from the east I guess they assumed that there was little chance of such a fetch building up.
However, the port police stopped all movement of boats in and out of Lefkas town. I know of what chap that had his booking in the marina cancelled because it was full to capacity.
PredictWind had the forecast more or less spot on for the Tuesday/Wed/Thurs then it went a bit off.
Tuesday night in Nidri was very calm but I have known the pontoons down there to break away in high winds so got out early Wednesday morning. Glad I did. A partial dismasting, damage to a number of boats caused by mast clashes and a 100ft motor cruiser dragged its anchor into a number of boats and put the Nidri Marine Pontoon out of action.
We tied up just inside a private concrete quay near Paleros and although we were heeled over by about 20 degrees in the gusts, that touched 60kts, we were out of the swell, which some reckon was around 1.5m in Nidri.
Most of the locals said they have never ever seen such conditions before.
On the Sunday the wind was also very high in the Paleros area but a few miles away at Cleopatra marina it was little more than a gentle breeze.